Wednesday, July 29, 2009

A "COMBO" birthday shopping trip (with cousin) AND overnight with Grandma

Look at these cute Grandgirls all excited for our shopping trip - they've got their purses all shined up and ready to go. It's nice of them to have their birthdays so close together so that we can take them both shopping at the same time. Last year we started our shopping tradition - for the older ones anyway, and I think it's going to stick :). We just allow them to choose their own gift, spending the allotted amount of $. Gracie turned 7 July 5th, and Bailee will turn 8 August 16th. I have fond memories (til I was 7 and she passed away. My Grandma Barrett passed before I was even born) of my Grandma Axtell letting us spend the night with her, occasionally, with a cousin close to our age, and we got to go shopping with a small amount of $. She would give us the tiny Tupperware midgee cups of M&Ms and we thought we had died and gone to Heaven. I'm not so sure how these kids feel about this yet, but they sure seem excited when it's their turn to go - so hopefully that's a good sign :)
Both girls decided it would be fun to go to Build a Bear so that's what we did. Bailee chose an owl (his head turns all the way around) - the moment she set eyes on it she knew that was the one she HAD to have.
Gracie is just a chip off the old block (her Dad's block - being the accountant and all you know) - she was VERY careful to stay within her allotted amount of $ and even came out with $1.75 change for her purse :). She chose the less expensive bear so she could buy more "things" to go with it. Here she is tapping the infamous pedal of fluff before the Hannah Montana sound box was put in the hand.
The "heart" (that goes inside the animals) ceremony


Giving them a bath when they're all done.
I was so happy that I ended up with my beautiful assistant, Nellie, with me so she could help when it came time to make up the birth certificates for 2 "excited" girls :)
Then on to Dairy Queen for a sweet treat afterwards
Gracie's bear dressed in her Hannah Montana outfit. Bailee's owl has a beautiful gold dress but she's not modeling it in this picture. Both girls got their animals, sleeping bags for their animals, and an outfit. They ended up sleeping in the family room and watching movies with their animals. It was a lot of fun.
Wednesday morning Nellie had an appt. so the girls and I ran to the store during the appt. They wanted to ride on my cart, so I told them they could ride in the butterfly cart - thinking they'd be too embarrassed . . . but they LOVED it - even though they were a little large!! I happened to still have my camera in my purse so I got a couple of shots (excuse the hair - we'd been riding in the car with the windows down). Good old Albertsons ").

2 comments:

Calley said...

Summer is just a *little* excited for when its her turn :)
you've been warned!

Jen said...

What a fun trip. I haven't yet had the time and patience to get all the details, so I'm glad I got some tips to ask about. The shopping cart ride was probably a major highlight. When we use carts like that in our family, the boys are the ones driving.