Sunday, July 5, 2009

The 4th of July in Good Old Carnation

Our 4th, as always, started out with the fun run. Here's "old Grandma" as Paige refers to me wrapping up the 5K
And Nellie and Emilee
Our friend, Anders Sjavik, who has lost @ 100 lbs. did the run too, so here we are in an "after" picture (Nellie had to get home fast to get ready for the float that she was to ride on). You gotta love those pit rings . . . It was HOT!!
The group waiting for the parade. Jen's crew was smart and brought umbrellas for shade - it was busting hot that day.
I didn't end up with pictures of everyone but I tried :)


Melissa and Nellie rode on a float honoring the boy from our ward who died on the last day of school (6-19-09) in a car accident. Josh loved to run and was very good at it so the fun run was dedicated to him this year. Special Care Agency is also hosting another 5K in his honor August 29th if you're interested.
Kaisa was able to reunite that day with a friend from 1st/2nd grade, Christy Luidhart (and her friend).

Calley's brother, Toby, came along for the "ride" that day . . . I hope he's not scarred for life :)


Only in Carnation - ya gotta love our little town ")


Then after some strawberry shortcake at the Senior Center, most of us went back to our house and Jen started her face painting. Good thing she had all that experience working for Clowns Unlimited so long ago huh?
Gracie chose a butterfly
Miss Summer wanted to be a dog like Daisy. Notice her tongue.
Tanner had a train on his arm. I had a better picture but it was just of his arm and I wanted to get his face too.
Druschba had a shooting star
Nellie a patriotic star
Nellie's friend, Linda, had some fireworks on her hand
Gracie painted my star, and Jen did some fireworks on the other side. I believe that Gracie also took the picture (please excuse my apron).
Ryan was actually the artist here - pretty good huh? Love the grin :)
Then we went to our friend's, and neighbor's, the Quist's, for our traditional barbecue. We've done this the last 17 years. Carl is the happy barbecue guy and always does such a good job. Too bad I didn't get a picture of all the good food :)


Laurie and co. had filled water balloons for a friendly game of water balloon "toss", which of course ended up being an all out war . . . throwing people in the kiddie pool, using the hose and etc. I tell ya, there's never a dull moment with this group!
Lee's blackberry and pager ended up getting wet (OOPS) so Laurie had been told by Verizon that if that happened, to put them in rice to help absorb the moisture - so that's what you see here. I'm happy to report that the blackberry is cured, but the pager is being a little more "sensitive".
At dusk we went to watch Carnation's beautiful display of fireworks! It was the perfect end to a fun filled day. Lee, Nellie, Linda, Kaisa and Billy went around town after that to "bust" people who were doing fireworks, since they're banned in our town, and didn't find much - THANK HEAVENS!! It was a good day :)

Then . . .
Naughty Chad came down after church today, thinking he was SOOOOO funny in a TINY shirt and some whitey tightys . . . for the shock value, of course - to get a reaction - so I told him I was taking his picture and would blog it. He quickly tried to run away - but I got him anyway. In Lee Soptich fashion, he later said "I don't care, go ahead and take a picture", so I did, but will spare you that one :). This one gets the point acrossed. Click on the picture and look at his face - it's pretty funny. I think he's shocked that I really did it. Kids are fun "). Like I said, never a dull moment.
The End

2 comments:

Jen said...

That is so sick. I clicked and saw and wanted to throw up. Too bad I missed out.

The Gardners said...

Yes Jen, I'm sure you're crushed that you didn't get to see Chad LIVE! Actually, when Billy and I got there on Thursday night, we were welcomed by the same thing. Nugget pouches busting everywhere!!